Ryan Finn - Youth Philharmonic Conductor
Elizabeth Young - Intermezzo String Orchestra Conductor
Carla Kountoupes - Prelude String Orchestra Conductor (formerly Elementary String Orchestra)
ABOUT RYAN FINN
Ryan received a Bachelors of Music Education in 2004 from Loyola University - New Orleans and a Masters of Educational Leadership in 2017 from New Mexico Highlands University. He regularly clinics middle school and high school bands from around the state and his own groups regularly receive Superior ratings at district festivals and the NM State Contest.
Before returning to New Mexico in 2012, Ryan taught band, orchestra, and music theory for seven years at the St. Lucia of Music on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia. He also performed with many well known Caribbean musicians such as Luther Francois, Barbara Cadet, Alison Marquis, Ronald 'Boo' Hinkson, and Rob 'Zi' Taylor. While in St. Lucia, Ryan arranged and composed in a variety of local folk styles and has a portfolio of over 30 compositions. Some of these pieces include full symphonic works, musicals, jazz band charts, concert band arrangements, and more.
In his free time, Ryan can be found hiking and skiing around Northern New Mexico with his wife, 3 children, and their dog.
Fun facts about Ryan:
- I look forward to spending a great deal of time this summer hiking and camping around Northern New Mexico and Colorado with my wife and 3 children.
- Mr. Snider's son and I were both in YSO together in 1999.
- I have a scar over my right eye that I received in a bicycle accident in college. Lesson: WEAR A HELMET!
ABOUT ELIZABETH YOUNG
Fun facts about Elizabeth:
- I played percussion in high school marching band and even marched in parades!
- The earliest dream I had of my future profession was to become an astronomer! I went out to my backyard every night with my telescope when I was in elementary school.
- I traveled to the country of Oman in the Middle East to perform with the Glimmerglass Opera at the very first opera house in that country. Playing music can really take you anywhere!
ABOUT CARLA KOUNTOUPES
Fun Facts about Carla:
- I have a 5-year-old son and an 11-year-old daughter. They both play piano. My daughter also plays violin and will be joining ISO for the first time this fall.
- I lived in Costa Rica for four years and am fluent in Spanish. I got to hold a sloth at a rain forest animal rescue center when I was there. They don't like to be pet, only patted gently. Their hair is very coarse.
- I play on a violin made in the 1740's. I inherited it from my grandfather who was given the violin by his parents when he was 16 years old, in pre-war Germany. He became a doctor/surgeon by profession, but was also a virtuoso violinist.