HALEY LOVELACE, CONDUCTOR
ABOUT THE ORCHESTRA
Target Age Group: Approximately 5th-7th Grade
PSO is our first orchestra that is focused on group ensemble playing. Students are expected to prepare their music at home, so time in class is spent on the layering of parts and musicality. In PSO, students learn:
In order to join PSO, students must audition. This ensures that they're able to learn and perform the level of music we're playing, so they'll have an enjoyable experience in class. Our goal is to make the audition process calm and welcoming, while still allowing us to make sure the students are prepared to join. Auditions are held in May, and again in August. Returning students do not need to re-audition. Please see our audition link for requirements, and sign ups.
Rehearsals will be held in person on Wednesdays,
at Odd Fellows Hall from 4:00-5:30pm.
FOR CURRENT STUDENTS
Absence Notification Form
SFYSA Attendance Policy
1) There are no excused/unexcused absences. Whether you're sick, at a soccer game, in a school play, etc., if you miss rehearsal you're considered absent.
2) On your third absence, your conductor/director will ask you to perform a playing test. This may be via a Flipgrid video, a recording, or to play for them in person. Playing in an ensemble is a team effort, and this ensures that you are prepared to participate to the best of your abilities, even if you miss class.
3) If after your 3rd absence, you play for your conductor and it's clear you are unprepared for participation in class, you will be put on probation. Your conductor and the Artistic Director will work with you to build an appropriate timeline to get back on track. If you do not make significant progress to get back on track within the timeline set, you are eligible for disenrollment from class for the remainder of the semester.
4) The Absence Notification form cannot be used for Dress Rehearsals or Concerts. Those are considered mandatory, and you must speak with your Conductor/Director directly if there is a problem or concern.
What do I do if I'm going to be absent?
1) If you know well in advance, let your conductor know by filling out the Absence Notification form as soon as you know you'll be out. They can give you a heads up as to what sections they'll be rehearsing, and what is important to practice.
2) If your absence is last-minute, fill out the Absence Notification form as soon as possible so your conductor isn't looking for you to be at rehearsal.
3) Please do not call, text, or email your conductor or the office. The Absence Notification form MUST be completed for each absence.
4) If you forget to fill out the form, and you do not attend class, you will be asked to complete the form after the missed class.
ABOUT THE CONDUCTOR
Haley Lovelace holds a Bachelor of University Studies in string pedagogy and educational psychology from the University of New Mexico. She graduated with her Masters in Instructional Design in 2021. An active researcher in the field of string pedagogy for two decades, Haley combines Suzuki and traditional pedagogies as well as developmental psychology in her teaching. Haley’s students have been accepted into the New Mexico School for the Arts, Albuquerque Youth Symphony Program, and various music education degree programs. Haley is an alum of the Albuquerque Youth Symphony and has also performed with the University of New Mexico Symphony Orchestra and the Albuquerque Philharmonic. In her “spare” time she enjoys cooking, time with her husband and daughter, and a menagerie of pets.
PSO Performs Stoudemire's "Barn Dance" at the St. Francis Auditorium, May 2015
PSO Performs Sheinberg's "Celebration" at the St. Francis Auditorium, May 2015